Thursday, March 4, 2010

My 50th Birthday...

...is coming up this month -- March 20 to be exact. I read somewhere that there are no such things as coincidences, but the fact of my 50th was not foremost in my mind when I conceived this blog of memoirs. Forty-five years ago, I was living on Herlwyn Avenue in Ruislip, England ("rice lip"). We were an American military family -- United States Air Force -- and our father, the one enlisted in the USAF, had met our mother when he was stationed at Chicksands in Bedfordshire. Mom was a local girl from one of the nearby villages, Clifton, and she had a job on the base. So Herlwyn Avenue wasn't my first home, but it's where I began school and where some of my first vivid childhood memories originate. I hope to tell some stories here from my military brat childhood. Not all of them will be set on Herlwyn Avenue -- I also like the sound of that name over the many other streets where we lived -- and chronological order will not be the rule as I enter posts.

As I proceed, I recognize that nostalgia can be dangerous. Whether an individual or an entire generation is recalling the good old days, we tend to screen out the negative aspects of bygone times. To be sure, some things really were better back then, but other things are even better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment